Monday, February 2, 2009

The cutest things....


Well, finally! The ewes have decided to let go of their little bundles of joy....well one so far has, but its a start. It looks as though others will now follow. Im hoping for spontanious jealousy happening. The other ewes are very interesred in the 2 new comers, and appear to very much so covet them, so perhaps they will go ahead and release their little bundles as well, so they can have some cute little lambies to snuggle with, as the new mom is telling them to leave hers alone, and go get your own! Sadly for me, both of them are ram lambs, which means they wont be sticking around here for long, and will no doubt, either go on to sire lambs of their own on some one elses farm, or will be freezer or BBQ bound. They are darling at this age, and Im sure they will continue to bring me joy watching them grow and play for some time to come. Anticipating lambs is always an exciting time for me. I love the whole process, from watching the ram court his harem, to watching the ewes bellies grow,and then the ultimate event, the birth of the lambs. I try very hard to be on hand and oversee all the births, even though my ewes are not new to lambing now, and are good easy lambers and great mothers, so dont really need any intervention, much less an audience, (and they'd much perfer it Im sure, if Id just keep my butt in the house and leave them to it) But I have lost a ewe here and there over the years to not being there, and my herd is so small in comparison to years ago, that I can do it without much effort, and a little loss of sleep some nights is a small price to pay to know that my ewes are OK. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to my newest additions. I havent named them, as I would then get to attached to them, and end up hanging on to lambs I really dont need. It is my intention to only keep ewe lambs, and only of a specific type and color. But I digress...please enjoy the the newest additions to the flock. Born @ 4:44pm 2-2-09 and 5:27pm 2-2-09 (side note, they seem to be right on schedual, as last year some of out first lambs were born on my oldest son Linzy's Birthday, a little red headed lamb, just like my son who is also a red head too, so making it easy for me to remember which lamb, and what day it was born! How convienient!)

Kyle is as bad as me, wanting to be there with the ewes and lambs and thinks nothing of settling in on the lambing shed floor for a little interaction with the family.

Getting their land legs

Can we say Awwww...

Psst, Mom, I gotta say, theres a lot more room out here.

Kyle thinks lambs are better than puppies

Ok. So I did name this one.I call him Whitie.

2 comments:

BCxFour said...

Oh my goodness they are soooooo cute! Great pics!
-Carolynn

Dancing shepherdess said...

I like that one with the colour on the head- the brown and gray. Neat. He looks nicely put together too. Maybe he will be a nice sire some day....