Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A First For Bear and I


I'm very excited. This Saturday, Bear, Hank, me and a friend are heading out to the Kelly Creek Farm for a mock trial work day with some folks from the Utah Stock dog Assoc.
I feel sure Bear is ready for this, he and I have been accomplishing much this winter and spring. He is a great dog for me, and handles easily and is a great listener. He has power, style, and a nice amount of eye, and reads his stock well. Sheep really like Bear, and his easy way around them. I am very proud of Bear, he is all I could have ever asked for in a dog, and his bond with me is astounding. Bear is a dog anyone would be proud to walk out on a field with, I'm still just so grateful that he landed with me, he has taught me so much.

Hank is going to get to do a little work too, and maybe even learn a thing or two. He is keen to get to work, and is proving to be a good listener and is really starting to read his sheep nicely. Still a goofy puppy at 13 months, but put him on stock, and he is a whole different dog. Its amazing to watch the transformation. He is bold and fearless, and will walk right into the face of a sheep and doesn't back down. He is starting to develop a little more eye, which is nice to see, as Id thought he was going to be a bit of a loose eyed dog. It'll be interesting to see how both Bear and Hank handle this new situation.

As for me? Well, I'm pretty darned confident in Bear's aptitude and abilities, and so, for the moment, I think I will be able to remain cool headed and calm. But, we aren't standing at the post yet.

Chris, is hopefully bred now to Robin's Zac, and we are all eagerly awaiting the results of the ultra sound on the 23rd. Then by the 1st I should be able to get her back home, where she has been very much missed. Its just not the same without her joyous little self bounding around trying to get some one to just throw the ball.

Still waiting to hear about the house I'm hoping to get. I hate waiting. Its not one of my strong points. But as of today, all the leg work and paper work is in, and now all that's left to do is wait till I get the call. I have a strong feeling I'll get it, but I don't want to get to confident, lest I don't and then my feelings will really be hurt. Then, it will be back to the drawing board, and I'm not looking forward to that. This place is perfect for Kyle and I and the critters. Cross your fingers for us.

The sheep and horses are starting to look a little better. Jewel, the Morgan mare is still thin, and it smarts for me to see my girl looking so poorly. I had her out today for some loves and a good brushing. She looks better from further away, but up close, it just sickens me to see her bones where there once was ample flesh.
Cocoa, the buckskin mare, is doing much better, but she is a bit younger and appears to be bouncing back quicker. She got to come out of the paddock this evening too for a little well deserved TLC and to knock the mud off her butt. Both are in good spirits, so that is a plus in getting them back on the right track and healthy.
The sheep? Well, we're working on it. Still skinny necks and hip bones, but they are eating well, and starting to look a little better. Ive just never seen them so poor, and every time I look at them I just get angry.

Work is really busy, and I'm grateful for that, even if I am dog tired by the end of the day. I get a lot accomplished in a day, but it leaves me hunting the pillow a little earlier than I use to. I have been sleeping better than ever. I think it has a lot to do with the cool, clean mountain air too. Ive been leaving the window open in my bedroom, and its been getting down in the 40's at night. The cool air feels so nice.

So that's it for now, look for pics soon of Da Bear and Hank after the weekend, I'm bringing a camera crew for this one!

5 comments:

Robin French said...

Sounds like fun, can't wait to hear how it goes!

Darci said...

Me too! Im actually quite excited to see if I can get him around the course. Im sure Bear has the ability, its me Im a bit concerned about! LOL But I think we will do fine, and have a good time in the process.

BCxFour said...

Bear will be fantastic and you will have a wonderful time! I am so steamed for you and the animals being thin. What a bastard treating them that way. I am so sorry the stock transport was horrible. Is there anything you can do about it? File a complaint with an agency or anything?

Jodi said...

Can't wait to hear how you guys do this weekend. Be sure to hand your camera off to someone to take some shots for you ... er um ... I guess for us really!

Darci said...

Already got the camera crew, Im just hoping she can discern what to shoot,and what not to shoot! LOL
We have a 3 hr drive before we get there, so I'll have plenty of time to go over with her about which side is my good side!
Oh, and I'll have to spend a few minuets clueing her in on shots of the dogs too I reckon.